29 January 2009

¡Gooool!

Tonight I am going to a Barça game. My first European football game! Should be very fun as long as we avoid the drunk rabble rousers. They are playing Espanyol. I just wish I had a Thierry Henry jersey.

Tomorrow I am leaving for Paris. I am traveling with one other friend named Meredith and we have quite the itinerary planned out. I have also made plans to go to Dublin with a big group of friends, and I am looking at Amsterdam with another girl named Patty. (In addition to the current plans for England, Sevilla, Valencia, Belgium, and Greece.)

This week the classes I will be taking the rest of the semester started. A little about each...

Arte y Artistas (Art and Artists): My favorite class so far because it is well organized, easy to follow and really interesting. It is an art history classes focusing on the main artists of Barcelona, such as Gaudí, Tapeis, and Picasso. The teacher is really nice. Actually all the teachers are really nice. In every single class we went around the first day saying our names and majors and various other tidbits about ourselves. Quite different from the US.

Sociedad y Política in España Contemporánea (Society and Politics in Contemporary Spain): Looks like it is going to be very interesting. The teacher is great and everything is discussion based, so it is almost like a seminar, albeit with a big group of people. We are going to cover the twentieth century from the "segunda república" to Franquismo to today.

Imágenes de España en el Cine Contemporáneo (Images of Spain in Contemporary Film): The teacher is really artsy and knowledgeable, but I had trouble understanding what was going on. He changed topics really abruptly and talked fast. In addition the movie we watched (by Salvador Dalí) was weeeeird. All those extra e´s show just how weird it was.

Español: Nothing too different here, but I LOVE the professor. It is like we are all just hanging out and chit chatting, but in Spanish with her correcting us.

Right now I am in the library because I had a little bit of time to kill before class. I am finally declaring the mullet the official hairdo of Spanish youth. I see multiple mullets every day at UPF. Why, oh why? And I hardly need mention this, but it is not restricted to the men. And they are often dreadlocked mullets. And really terrible looking on every single person.

Yesterday I went with my señora to the movies. I saw Revolutionary Road all in Spanish. They dub all movies and TV here because during Franco´s time no one ever watched foreign movies or had contact with the rest of the world, so nobody speaks English and everyone got used to dubbed films. Anyway, to my satisfaction, I was able to basically understand the movie. However, I do not know what most of the fights are about, and if you have seen the movie, the fights are pretty important. In fact they are the majority of the movie. Oh well.

Adios until Monday, when I return from Paris!

No comments: