02 February 2009

La comida catalana y el fútbol

A note on food and football.


My friends Caryn, Patty and I tried out a place near the university called Els "Pollos" de Llull (with the quotation marks). Their specialty is rotisserie chicken and everything we had was delicious. The skin was crispy and the chicken tastes like garlic and bay leaf. The croquetas were the best I have had in España. They are crispy on the outside but inside is a super smooth potato puree, and it all tastes like chicken. I have had ham and fish croquetas but these were the best.


We also had wonderful sangria made with cava (catalunya champagne) and peaches and pineapples. Yum.


At the game, Barça won! Yay! But our seats happened to be in front of where a large crowd of Espanyol fans were standing. (I guess they did not want to buy seats.) Barça and Espanyol are two Barcelona teams á la Yankees and Mets. Espanyol is apparently a little trashier, or at least these fans were. They sang rude songs the entire time and had some conflict with the Barça fans. Some of the people in my group were kind of egging them on and they started throwing stuff at us like cigarettes and coins. I got hit in the head with a ball of aluminum foil. But it was still fun.


Afterwards we went to a bar but I did not stay out too too late as I was leaving for Paris the next day. The bar was pretty cool. It is called Dow Jones and is basically run by and patronized by Americans. The place has a Wall Street theme and every so often the "market crashes" (not based on the real market mind you), making all the drinks temporarily cheaper. So drink prices fluctuate all night. 


Paris post to come soon.

No comments: