11 February 2009

Un poco más de BCN

Last Friday (before my flight to ol' Britannia), I went with a group of amigos to a restaurant called Petra. It was recommended by Caryn's guidebook and it did not disappoint. (Well, actually, it did, but in general no.) Unfortunately I did not have my camera so your imaginations will have to do.

It was not really 'authentic Spanish,' but it was delightful nonetheless. The menus came out on wine bottles. I shared a salad of tomato, fresh mozarella, and mesclun. The cheese was creamy but not soggy. I then had a very unpleasant dish of clay balls with glue sauce, a.k.a. gnocchi in four cheeses. But I did get to taste the delectable dishes of two of my companions, and both--some kind of braised duck, and gnocchi with sun-dried tomato and veal--were delicious. A good but not all that novel flourless chocolate cake finished. 

We also tried a pizza restaurant yesterday (Tuesday) called La Pizza del Born. Born is a nice area near the Jaume I metro stop in the old city. (I believe Petra is located in Born as well.) The pizza was pretty good, but I did not like the lack of tomato sauce or the doughy, doughy crust.

Beyond that, classes are pretty much the same, and I don't think I have any new observations on Spanish society. Except to say that yesterday there was an extremely strong gas smell in the metro and I was a little freaked out, but everyone continued on like nothing was strange. 

Also, my señora has been making the usual, but tasty, fare. (Save for her super-salted salads.) I have had lots of my favorite potato-and-onion omelette, pan-fried meats, and soups. Yay.

This weekend the whole CIEE group is going to Sevilla. (Seville to you non-Spanish speakers.) I think it is going to be so much fun. The only drawback is that we have to meet at the airport at 7 a.m. This means getting up by 5:15 or 5:30. But I checked the weather report and it is supposed to be sunny and in the 60s. Can't wait!

No comments: